Friday, February 16, 2007

Greetings, Time and Greetings Again
















The most apparent indication of Nigerien friendliness and humility is their propensity to make repeated long greetings that are always answered positively and with thankfulness to Allah.

Barka da zowa! (Blessings on your coming!)
Barka kaddai! (Blessings to you!)
Ina Gida? (How's the family?)
Gida duka lahiya lau. (The family is in health.)
Ina aiki? (How's the work?)
Aiki da godiya. (I am thankful for the work.)
Ina gajiya? (How's the tiredness?)
Babu gajiya! (There is no tiredness!)

Any similar series of greetings is done whether you've seen the same person in the morning and return only and hour later. They are exchanged with strangers in the street and in the market. Any truthfulness about whether you are tired or someone is ill is offered only after your blessings and thankfulness are given.

The length of the greeting is matched only by the length of the day, and the gratefulness for each moment became clear to me on one occassion when I was walking with my host mother, Mariama, and sharing these greetings. I knew she had much work to do - hauling water from the well, pounding millet into flour and prearing dinner for her family. As we walked slowly together towards home I thought, "My god, is it possible to walk any slower", and as the African sun began to rest hazily upon the horizon, I discovered that indeed, it was.







1 comment:

Linds girl said...

Lovely. Simply lovely. Surrounded by welcoming people who greet you for minutes on end sounds like a heaven we should all learn from in our own crazy corners of the world. I miss you. Keep the messages coming.